Saturday, October 25, 2008

Skills 2---more than just the basics

I started Skills 2 on Tuesday, which is pretty much a continuation of cooking using the skills you learned in Skills 1. I have the same chef for Skills 1 and 2, thankfully. Now we are doing more than just making soups, stocks, and sauces. We still make stocks almost every day (of which I have been fortunate enough to not be on the stock team yet this rotation). The first day, we made Pommes Puree (a fancy name for mashed potatoes), Braised Red Cabbage (SSSOOOOOOO good), Glazed Beets (eeeeew I hate beets) and of course, tourne potatoes. It was so much fun because we cooked actual food, like, stuff that you can eat with a fork, like, side dishes! I really enjoyed it!
Over the weekend I bought a stick lighter, because I had been using a paper towel to light the burners, which takes too much time. Chef saw me using it and said it was the best purchase I made over the weekend and used it for his demo. He still keeps asking for it, and it has come to the point where I keep it in my back pocket and people say "stick lighter," and they come behind and grab it. It kind of irritates me because they dont always return it, so I have to ask who has it. I don't mind when chef uses it because he always returns it. Besides, by the time they have come to my station to get the lighter, they could have already done the paper towel trick. I dunno, I bought it for my use, so people should buy their own.

1 comment:

MPERU said...

your not fortunate to have not been on stock's. This is very important in your proffesional life out side of school. Make them as much as possible so you can have it down pat by the time you leave.

Matt P.