Monday, October 13, 2008

MEAT MEAT MEAT

So I don't have much information about what went down during meat class. But long story short, I learned soo much and I am no longer intimidated by walking up to the meat counter. I now know what cuts of beef to buy and how to cook them. I am comfortable fabricating the meats and I am not afraid to use some elbow grease! haha

9-17-08 Misc.

Tomorrow I start Meat ID and Fabrication. We had soooo much pre-day one assignments between reading a bagillion pages and watching a bagillion videos (which I never really got to because I am writing these journal entries, which I will try to be more faithful about from now on). I am excited for meat class because people say it is easier than Fish, and I get to sleep in!! When I sleep in, i mean to 5:45 am, but hey, its 1 ½ hours longer than before. I am looking forward to not smell like fish anymore. I will still probably wash my jackets and whites every day though cuz of the bloooooooood. Yum! Haha. I’ll report back tomorrow about how meats goes. I have Chef Sebald (the last remaining Master Butcher in the world!) Legend. German. Can’t get much better than that!

9-23-08

I have been in Meat class for four days now. I started last Thursday (today being Tuesday). I absolutely LOVE my chef (Sebald). I keep telling people he is like the German grandfather I never had. He is so adorable! Yea it is hard to understand him at times, but he makes a lot of jokes too! As for the actual class, I am still trying to decide if I like it better than fish at this point. I can tell you that I like it more because we are not wet and cold and do not smell like fish, but it is a bit harder because every cut of meat looks the same! (to me atleast). Its nice getting out of class and not feeling like I have to shower immediately. I do not smell when I am done! I also learned how to use a stone to sharpen knives, since sharp knives are crucial in this class. I am pretty good at it too! Sleeping in till 5:30 is diefinitely nice. I said earlier I get to sleep in till 5:45 only because that was assuming I wouldn’t eat breakfast, but now I meet some friends from the class at 6 am for breakfast. I eat oatmeal with a lot of toppings (nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips) yumm. We have lecture at 6:30 am until 10:00 or so with a 10 minute break between, so it is kinda hard to stay awake. But it is nice because when we are done with lecture we go to the Fabrication room, cut our meat, then we are done for the day (1:00 pm). There is definitely a lot of homework, which is why I haven’t been writing journal entries for a while now.

1 comment:

MPERU said...

This is another class that is very important if you want to make the big buck's. Have fun with it and dont be afraid to drop a couple of steaks in the mail for me.

Matt P.