Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Burn Baby Burn

Yup, that's right. I burnt myself last Monday (the 27th) . I was making rice pilaf and it is cooked in the oven, so when I went to take it out, I had my side towel to grab the hot handle. I put it on the counter, walked away for a second and totally forgot to pick my side towel back up. I wrapped my hand around the handle that had just been in the 400 degree oven and pulled it away in a flash in pain. I rushed over to sink knowing it was bad. I had an ice bath I had used earlier to shock my vegetables, so I shocked my hand, haha. I submerged it in the ice to take away the pain, but the damage was done. I looked at chef and said to him how I had really really really burnt my hand. And he says to go to the nurse. I told him that my food was due at 10:15 (currently 9:45) and that it was already cooking. So i told him I would manage to finish my food and then go. I asked if I could go as soon at my food was done rather than waiting until my assigned time, and thankfully I could. I kept my right hand submerged in the ice whenever I could. My food actually turned out great, but how I wish I could say the same about my hand. It was smothered in burn cream when I went to the nurse and wrapped in gauze. The pain was unbearable. During break, I walked back to my room while crying on the phone with my mom. I was so worried I would not be able to cook, since I do pretty much everything with my right hand (my left hand is just along for the ride, haha). I love my mom. She assured me everything would be okay and that I was just emotional and to just see what happened later that day before freaking out. Three hours later, the burning sensation subsided, but I still could not really do much with my hand. When I woke up the next day, it did not hurt at all, but I wrapped it in gauze and bandages and headed off to class. I actually cooked my best on Tuesday because I was so careful about everything and I was careful and cognizant of everything going on because of my burn. I wore the bandages for the rest of the week to keep it covered, and continued to put out great food. I actually learned a tip from Chef how to remind myself something is hot--sprinkle whatever it is thats hot with flour, so in the case, I sprinkled the lid and the handle of all the pots that were hot. I have not yet made the mistake of grabbing a hot pan. I learned my lesson the hard way.

No comments: