Thursday, November 20, 2008

"See Audrey, Sucking up to the Chef is a GOOD Thing"

My chef for Skills 3 is amazing! She yells a lot, but she says her bark is worse than her bite, which is true. She likes to push us to motivate us and keep us moving. Before the class started, I was told she was horrible, but I was also told that she likes girls and gay guys, haha. So true. She and I get along so well. It is important that in her class, you know what you are doing, because she will come to your station a lot and ask whats going on, and you better be able to give her a straight answer. I found out she worked in NH for a long time, so as a NH native, I figured I would use that to my advantage. She LOVES using Maple Syrup and is always telling stories about "when I worked in NH, we would do blahdeblah." I brought it up one day and since then, she has been so nice. She has been pretty nice to me since day one and I think its because my friend down the hall had her last block and she said that she put in a good word for me. She is never really breathing down my back. Today was actually really funny. Our group was running behind, but she was helping us. I opened the oven to check the beef stew and she comes over and starts yelling. "WHY ISN'T THIS SIMMERING! THIS SHOULD BE SIMMERING!" and I say, Chef, it WAS simmering, I just pulled it out of the oven. And she reaches into the oven and yells, "THIS OVEN ISNT EVEN ON!!!!! WHY ISNT YOUR OVEN ON!!!" And everyone is looking at me and I say, "CHEF, the oven IS ON! LOOK!" and she looks at me so only I can see her face and she goes, "im totally just playing around, just go with it" and starts laughing then stands up and starts yelling again. I yelled back to her, "YOU'RE KILLING ME CHEF!" (cuz she says that all the time, just as one of her catch phrases). It was so funny because everyone was like, OMG AUDREY, what did you DO!???!" hahahha. She's hilarious. Oh and yesterday, i made "SNACKS." She likes to make snacks for us during class and because we were ahead of schedule yesterday, she threw some flour tortillas on our station and told us to make quessadillas. I have made them many times, so I was happy to. I started buttering the outsides and she comes over and goes, "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING!??!" And I say, "well, buttering the outside chef, to make them crispy and delicious" and she goes, "AH YOU'RE KILLING ME!" haha. Its a good thing when she says that. After they were done, she ate one and thought they were absolutely incredible. I have learned that the secret to pleasing her is just to be confident in what you make. Give her a straight answer, and all will be good.

No comments: