Friday, August 31, 2012

Cars, Bikes, Buses, and other things with wheels

The point of this post: transportation in the city and what's the most financially smart choice. I currently own a car; the car that I have had since high school that got me around while at college and got me here to Chicago. Only now, all it does is sit on the streets since I have no use for it. If I want to visit my family in the burbs, i take the train. If I need to get to Point B, I take the bus or the L, or walk. The other day, I got a ticket because I didn't move my car for street cleaning (I didn't see the signs posted since I hadnt used my car in a couple days). At this point, I am thinking its a liability. I do not have secure parking, I already got a ticket, and its just losing money by sitting there. Cars in the city are useless (in my situation). Yes, there are plenty of people who have them, but for me, I have no use. I have decided to sell my car!!!

Bikes on the other hand, are awesome. I just bought a bike off craigslist for only $140. It is a vintage German folding bike. Yes, it folds. Which means I can take it on the buses, L, and the Metra trains whenever I want. And since it folds, I don't have to carry it cumbersomely up three flights of stairs to my apartment and I can keep it in my apartment as opposed to outside where it could get stolen. Also, since it was so inexpensive, if anything happens to it...I didn't lose out on a new $500 dollar bike! I can get places faster than relying on public transportation and its free to ride and good for the body :)

The verdict: sell car, bought bike, but I can walk to work when I want because I live only 1.7 miles away. Yay for city living!!


No comments: