Saturday, October 19, 2013

Marathon Madness! (Pre-Story And The Aftermath)

As most of you know, I recently ran the Chicago Marathon. The backstory of why I did it is kind of funny because up until January of this year, I had made up my mind that I'd never run a marathon. The idea of running for over 4 hours and 26.2 miles just wasn't appealing to me. I was perfectly comfortable with running half marathons (13.1 miles). But one of my friends encouraged me to go to a running seminar and something happened during that session where I decided I was going to do it. I was going to run in the Chicago Marathon! So sure enough I signed up (despite all of the madness with the website shutting down and stuff, but I got through and paid my dues and then at that point there was no backing out!).

I used the Hal Higdon training plan, which is free online, and printed out blank month calendars to write the mileage for each day. It was a good feeling being able to cross off each day seeing that i'd successfully completed another run and that I was getting closer to race day. At the three-month-to-race-day point, I gave up drinking beer. Why? Beer has carbs! And carbs are good for runners! Yes, that is true, but beer also weighed me down and when I drank too much of it, running was hard the next day. Can you say, hangover? Even after just 2 weeks of no beer I felt better inside. Training was going well, I was sticking to my long runs each week, and eating healthy. As the runs got longer though, it became more difficult to find time to do them. I usually had to allow atleast 3-4 hours for long runs because I had to factor in water stops, bathroom breaks, and then showering afterward. I definitely found myself waking up earlier to slip one in before work, or delaying hanging out with a friend until I could complete my run. It started to take over my life, but it was necessary. I wanted to train properly and dedicate myself to the sport.

One month before the marathon I gave up alcohol entirely. I had planned on giving it up only 2 weeks prior but a friend of mine had such success going sober with her weight, and mood, and health, that I was motivated to do the same. Within one week of no alcohol, I was already sleeping better, losing weight, and had more energy. After 2 weeks, I had the energy of a high schooler! I was no longer lethargic from late nights of drinking AND I was saving money! Sure, I wasn't going out with friends as often on the weekends and such, but I knew it was only temporary and they were all very supportive. I went to a friend's housewarming party and drank water cocktails that evening (sparkling water with lime). I drank them out of a wine glass so that I could still kind of participate in the festivities though.

Two weeks before the race I had my last long run, then the taper began. This is a period where you complete a couple of short runs, maybe a long run of 8 miles, but mostly rest and recovery. For the last 16 weeks, you had been putting your body through a lot of miles and especially if it was your first marathon, your body was beat. Mine definitely needed the rest! I drank lots of water for those two weeks and ate a few more carbs than I normally would. But mostly I stayed busy to not get nervous about the race. My training had gone well up to this point. I had completed the 20 mile run, which is where the training ceases since during the race that last 6 miles is adrenaline. I mean, after 20, what's 6 more? HA!

Two days before I carbo loaded with some pasta salad full of vegetables and the night before I had some acorn squash and quinoa. High protein and carbs. I uploaded my ipod with my favorite running songs, made sure it was fully charged, and packed my bag with a change of clothes.  But for the life of me could not sleep out of excitement! Race day was coming!

5 am: RACE DAY! Managed to eat a little bit of breakfast, but couldn't eat too much since I was not hungry but was also nervous.
6 am: arrived at Grant Park (extra early, like going to the airport, to get through the heightened security, bag check, etc)
6:30: met up with my friend also running the marathon, it was nice to have someone to kill the time with
7:30 am: last bathroom break, found my start corral, the race would start in 30 minutes!
8 am: HERE WE GO!!!!!

I felt great for the first 13 miles. Knew I was running a little faster than I should but had confidence I could pull through. But at mile 15, my feet began to throb. I thought my shoes were too tight, but even after adjusting them, it just got worse. turns out that it was because my feet were not adjusted to the pavement since all of my training runs had been mostly dirt paths on the lakefront trail. So I ran 11 more miles in pain. There were so many spectators with very amusing signs and cheerleaders, and crazy people dancing. So much energy. At the 20 mile mark, I saw my mom, I started crying because my feet were in so much pain, but she assured me it was only 6 miles and that that's like a walk in the park! I could do it! Sure enough, I did my best to forget about the pain and one by one knocked off the miles, 5, 4, 3, 2, only one mile left! Then I was done! They even called out my name when I was coming down the homestretch! Then it was over!

I RAN A MARATHON! Finished in 4 hr, 30 min, which was my goal time. It's funny though, because as soon as I stopped running, I could not move. Could not walk. I was moving slower than a grandma. Four aid station workers even approached me asking if I was okay. I just ran a marathon, I'm in pain, no I'm not okay. But I managed to smile and say yes and slowly make my way to the gear check tent where I could pick up my belonging and get out of my shoes. I did start crying at one point after I finished, mostly out of shock that I'd just ran a marathon (something that still hasn't set in even as I write this post).

The next few days were incredibly painful. My feet were broken (not literally, but in that much pain) and my legs were stiff as boards. One friend asked me if I had known how much paid I'd be in after the race if I still would have run the race, and of course I would have. I do not regret running the marathon at all, it was totally worth the pain to be able to proudly say you've accomplished that goal in life. I wore my medal for the first two days and after crawling onto a bus, the driver announced to the passengers that a marathoner had just boarded and everyone began cheering and clapping. It was so embarrassing to have that kind of attention, but I guess it is true that not everyone can run a marathon, certainly an accomplishment. But four days later, I was walking normally. The adrenaline has subsided, and I am resuming my normal life.

It feels weird though, to not have a reason to run right now. For the past couple of years, I was always training for a half marathon, and then another, and then another, and then the marathon! But for right now, I have no commitments. For me, this is a good time to explore different areas of fitness. I am going to immerse myself in Bikram yoga (105 degree room) and then use Groupon and Livingsocial for fitness deals around the city like personal training sessions or bootcamps. I hope to see more of my friends (since I was so antisocial for the past couple months, had to run ladies!), explore the city, try more restaurants, and just take a break from running.


....probably won't last a month without running though and catching the bug again. Once a runner, always a runner.

No comments: