Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Let's go mix some drinks!

I finished my bartending school today.

It was a 6 day class, 2 hours each day. The first day was spent going over a powerpoint presentation just with guidelines and such for bartending. The second day, we practiced free pouring. There is a count system set up with free pouring so that you know how many ounces you are pouring based on how long you hold the bottle. Starting with 1/2 oz is 2 seconds, 3 seconds is 3/4 oz, 4 seconds is 1 oz, etc etc etc. And then we started making drinks.
We just used bottles filled with water, but it was more difficult to make drinks than I thought. It is easy enough to recall what is in a drink on paper, but once I was there actually having to make it, it was a bit daunting. With practice, I was able to completely memorize a few drinks, some I am still not positive on all the time. I always forget just one ingredient. But that comes with experience. To be honest, I just cannot wait to get out to an actual bar and try making real drinks, that will be exciting!

Heads up Mom and Dad: I'll be practicing with you two when i get home from college! Cosmos for mom, Manhattans for Dad!

No comments: