Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chefs don't always keep their promises to eager culinary students....bummer.

So as I mentioned a while back, I decided to stay for two extra months at The Mooring. It was for two reasons primarily. 1) I love working at this restaurant and I didn't really have a reason to go back to school at a certain time and 2) I was told by my chef (we even shook hands on it), that I would move to the Saute station, which I have been DYING to learn since day 1. This whole thing frustrates me, so I will try to not turn this blog entry into a rant session. Basically, he told me that since I was originally only staying until August 3, it would not make sense to train me on Saute at that point in the summer (this was June when we talked). But thinking about it, he should have thrown me on saute back in April when it was dead. But I can't look back on the past and be mad. So he basically said that if I stayed, it would be more useful to teach me saute since I would be here longer. So basically, I assumed that meant that after August 3, he would have me on saute. Well, three schedules later (aka 3 weeks later), he hasn't.
I talked with him about how he made a promise and I was a little disappointed (its awesome, I can be very straight forward with him and he doesnt get mad. He likes to hear my opinions). He explained to me that he was going to be training the other hot apps guy on saute since he stays year-round and I was leaving soon. Then i was thinking, well, thats why I stayed--so that you couldnt use the "you are leaving soon" excuse! And he proceeded to say how he would get me on there a few hours a week to learn some of the dishes and ticket times and ticket management, but he would be focusing on training the other guy. Basically for the past few days, I have been sliding over to saute to learn a thing or two when my station is not busy. I do not even know if he will schedule me, so I am just using whatever time I can to slide over. One of the Kitchen Managers saw me over there today helping my friend and he was like, Wow Audrey! Please tell me you are FINALLY on this station today!!! But unfortunately, I had to explain that I was just over there for a few minutes. So even HE wants me to be on Saute. Chef just doesnt seem to have it be his priority, which I understand. BUT HE MADE A PROMISE!!!!

No comments: