Monday, May 4, 2009

Look Ma, I'm cooking!

So a few days ago, I moved to the Hot Apps station, so I actaully cook now. I really like this station because there is a LOT less prep than the pantry and we arent responsible for nearly as many items (pantry had salads, raw bar, and desserts). There isnt much room to move around, so once two people are on that station, it must be crazy! It is a little harder to manage the station though time wise because the things take time to cook, rather than on pantry where you make a salad and its done. And you have to time things to be ready with everything else (unlike pantry where you can make a salad and let it sit.) Its really a matter of understanding the items on the station, like understanding how long everything takes. So if I got an order for the Stuffies (stuffed clams) and crab cakes, I would get a pan hot for the crab cakes then put the stuffies in the oven (they just have to heat up). Then i would sear the cakes in the hot oil and put them in the oven to warm with the stuffies. While they are cooking, I would set the plates up with the greens and sauces. Seven minutes later, I would take both out and plate them. It takes practice. I trained on the station for three days (but all three days it was pretty slow, so I didn't get to practice much). I was looking forward to being on the station alone today so that I could practice, but it was SOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOWWW!!!! I don't think I cooked more than seven items (5 of them came in at once).
Because it was so slow, me and the other intern (she is also from CIA) made a special dessert. We took chocolate ice cream and added graham cracker crumbs, marshamallows, and hershey bars. We pressed it into a graham cracker crust and drizzled caramel sauce over the top. OMG it was SOOOOOO good!!!!

No comments: