Wednesday, April 1, 2009

DAY 1 at The Mooring

Today was my first day of work, and it was awesome! It wasn't that busy of a day, it was actually quite slow, but that was what I was hoping for. That way I would be able to learn my way around the kitchen. I worked with Rudy in the pantry/pastry/raw bar station. Rudy is from Guatemala, which is awesome, because now I can practice my Spanish. I understood most of what he said, and I think he understood what I said. Currently, only one person works those three stations, but once the volume increases, it goes to at least 2 people, sometimes 3. We did a lot of stocking of food items today, which gave me the chance to figure out where things are stored.
When we got a ticket for a salad/dessert/raw bar item, I would make it because for me the best way to learn anything is hands on practice. I know what is in all the salads, I just need to work a little faster I think, but hey, for day one, not bad.
We got a ticket for the Grand Sampler, which is a raw bar item with 6 oysters, 6 clams, 6 shrimp, and 3 lobster claws. Rudy helped me with everything, and it was my first time opening a clam. THAT is going to take practice. I'm not that bad at opening oysters though. I'm happy we got a ticket for that because now I know what it is.
As we were nearing 4 pm (when I go home), Tim (the sous chef) and Marina and I were trying to think of an appetizer to go with a wine tasting that takes place every week over on Belleview Ave. We came up with a roasted/pulled duck leg with caramelized onions and a raspberry wine reduction in puff pastry. I think it will be delicious. I stayed a few minutes past 4 o'clock to be able to finish it. As a joke, Tim was giving me a hard time for not being on my station. He was like, "gosh Audrey, for Day 1 you sure are being lazy!!"
I really like the kitchen as of Day 1. There is a lot of humor going around, and that is the type of kitchen I like to work in. The people are great and I feel that I will fit in (unlike some of my past jobs).

No comments: