Sunday, January 18, 2009

I found an externship!!!

For so long I have been stressing out about finding a place to do my externship (internship). I had my resume out at too many places to count, but the reply I kept getting was that either they were fully staffed or that the economy was slowing business, so they could not take externs! As my time here as a freshman was winding down, I was really worrying that I would not find an externship before my deadline of Feb 18th.
When I found out that the Newport Restaurant Group was coming to our school to hold interviews, I scheduled an interview because I had held interest in two of five restaurants. They are located in Newport, RI, which is a massive tourist attraction, especially the timing of my externship (spring into summer). The interview was with the chef of the corporation and the chef of the Mooring Restaurant (a seafood restaurant right on the ocean). The interview went so well that I was offered a position at the Mooring Restaurant at the interview! I told them I would get back to them in a couple days (but I really just responded the next day). I am soo excited because they provide housing by taking a small amount of each paycheck, and the housing is with other interns working within the Newport Restaurant Group.
I am so happy to finally have a secured externship, especially with the NRG, because I have heard nothing but great things about all the chefs of that corporation! I am really looking forward to starting (Mid March or April-ish). I feel like a thousand pounds was lifted off my back knowing that I finally have a location!

No comments: